[TowerTalk] Info/Advice re: Exothermic Welds

Mickey Baker fishflorida at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 17:36:08 EDT 2012

I purchased Erico/Cadweld One Shots about 18 months ago. They were all
electrically ignited and used a plastic foam cup made from plastic foam
denser than typical Styrofoam. I had no problems with anything slipping
because I made all connections below grade and made sure connections were
mechanically rigid before ignition... that isn't difficult with stranded
#2, it's pretty stiff. I made 7 beautiful connections, including the one
connecting my service entrance to a new 8' ground rod bonded to the
grounding system. When I was done they were all-but already buried. The
code inspector had me dig one up and asked me why I didn't use clamps...

Electrical ignition is the way to go. Copper/thermite particles can cause a
nasty burn, I'm happy to be 6' away when it goes off.

73,

Mickey N4MB

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Dick Green WC1M <wc1m73 at gmail.com> wrote:

> The Erico website and their Cadweld catalog contain a wealth of information
> on their products:
>
> http://www.erico.com
>
> http://www.erico.com/public/library/fep/LT0355.pdf
>
> They even have a jig to prevent wires from moving.
>
> Until I looked through the catalog, I wasn't aware that they had molds for
> rebar. Had I known, I might have gone that route instead of using
> mechanical
> clamps on the rebar in my Ufer ground.
>
> I used many one-shot molds for grounding towers and my single-point ground
> with good success. Never had problems with molten metal leaking out of the
> molds, probably because I used very large gauge wire: stranded 1/0.
> Speaking
> of stranded wire, I think it's interesting that the conventional wisdom on
> this site is to use #2 solid conductor, while virtually all of the
> illustrations in the Erico catalog show stranded wire.
>
> Out of dozens of connections, I had ignition failures on maybe two or three
> charges. They pack the igniter dust into the bottom of the charge capsule
> and you have to be careful when dumping the charge into the mold not to mix
> the charge and the igniter. You should slowly pour the charge into the
> mold,
> then lightly tap the capsule to deposit the igniter on top of the charge. A
> good bit of igniter has to be directly under the hole in the mold cap to
> capture a spark from the flint gun.
>
> I also bought a 4-wire reusable mold for several spots where I had more
> than
> two wires converging. The mold takes a larger, more expensive charge, so it
> was still cost effective to use the one-shots for all the 2-wire
> connections, and a lot more convenient.
>
> When I did my second tower in 2007, Erico was selling a new kind of
> one-shot
> mold made of Styrofoam. It was very similar to a Styrofoam cup with a
> special lid with a hole in the middle to ignite the charge. I had all kinds
> of trouble with those molds, keeping them level, keeping dirt out of them,
> having them break, lighting the charge, etc. I had some ceramic molds left
> over from my first tower project in 1997, and had much better results with
> those. Looking through the Cadweld catalog, it appears that Erico has
> discontinued the Styrofoam one-shots. Good!
>
> That said, when I first saw the One-Shot Plus molds, I thought they were
> made of Styrofoam -- they look exactly like the Styrofoam one-shots. But it
> appears that they're made of ceramic, and are designed to be used with
> their
> electronic igniter and new ignition system. That system would be great to
> have, but I'll bet it's much more expensive than the old flint gun --
> probably only a good idea if you have ton of connections to make.
>
> 73, Dick WC1M

Mickey Baker, N4MB
Fort Lauderdale, FL
*“Tell me, and I will listen. Show me, and I will understand. Involve me,
and I will learn.” *Teton Lakota, American Indian Saying.