[TowerTalk] Hardline Fault

Roger Parsons ve3zi at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 09:49:49 EDT 2012

Many thanks for the replies.

The consensus seems to be to try the TDR anyway. I have my doubts that I will obtain
a definitive result because:

(1) I know I wrote that there are probably a few microns separating inner and outer
but that was a wild guess - I have moved the cable and for all I know the inner and
outer could be anywhere;
(2) There are going to be dozens of minor discontinuities along the cable where

other critters have bitten it to some extent, where it has been compressed, and where
it is bent.

I will nevertheless try the TDR (won't be until next week) and report back. I have
both a Rig Expert analyser (which does have a TDR function), and a DG8SAQ
VNWA. I'm not very keen on taking the latter, along with a laptop, out into the
depths of the bush, but it would certainly be more accurate, at least before I drop
it :-)

73 Roger
VE3ZI