[TowerTalk] tower permit for Portland OR

CHUCK BARROWS barrows4967 at msn.com
Thu Aug 23 02:21:03 EDT 2012

I am trying to get a permit to erect a US Tower TX455, 55' tower at my home in SW Portland.  The City of Portland Development Services is asking for several items to prove that the tower conforms with the "Oregon  Specialty Structural Code and/or other city, state, and federal requirements".  I have purchased drawings and documentation from US Towers which will hopefully satisfy most of  the 8 items they have listed.  One item I would like to push back on is the requirement to hire an inspection company to verify that the steel and welding are correct.  The gentleman I talked to at City of Portland Bureau of Development Services said they would expect the the inspection company visit US Tower to verify their manufacturing procedures and that their welders are qualified.  This seems like overkill to me given that the tower in question is an off the shelf item. I would like to hear from anyone that has got a tower permit in the city of Portland in the past couple of years. Chuck, K7BVT