[TowerTalk] Relay Box Measurements

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Aug 25 22:49:45 EDT 2012

On 8/25/2012 9:40 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> I'd like to compare data with anyone who has done careful measurements
> of relay boxes from Array Solutions, Top Ten, and DX Engineering.  I've
> just measured the boxes I have here, looking from 160M to 6M. Some
> things I find acceptable and some I don't.  Some things I don't like I
> can fix, some I can't.

Running the TDR on the line out to the antenna through the AS six-pack
shows a decided excursion, but I did not record it. I should have things
back together in a few days and then I'll run a recheck.

Unfortunately the AV640 I'm assembling, like the R8, does not show the
high standards of QC of the first two AV640s purchased a few years back
and I've had to redo a number of parts.  Nothing major so far, but time
consuming nuisances that were show stoppers until fixed.  OTOH I did
have to re-drill the holes in the Aluminum plate that mounts the base of
the antenna on the mast.  The holes for the mast clamps were too close
together to allow the mast to fit between them,(Only 1/16th of an inch
too close but that's more than enough) one of the holes was nearly 1/8"
out of line and the holes in the antenna clamp reinforcements were
drilled in line with those.  The ones in the clamp reinforcements I can
re-drill over size, but due to the one in the plate being out of line
that is not an option there. However there is plenty of room too drill
another set based on the center line.

73

Roger (K8RI)