[TowerTalk] Wire for prop pitch?

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Dec 4 14:28:22 EST 2012

Rich Hallman - N7TR wrote:
> I'm installing a k7nv prop pitch rotor in a few months and wanted to know
> what and where others have purchased their 10 gauge 3 conductor wire from?
>   This will be around 350 feet long and need to bury the run.   I looked
> at 10/2 romex with ground and may be the best option.
>
> Thanks....
> Rich.    N7TR

I was looking at exactly your problem, also 350 feet, and I
elected to go with Kurt's remote control box, where you
run CAT 5 back to the shack.  The box is at the bottom of the
tower and I used 6 conductor #16 cable from Texas Towers to
go up the tower (110 feet).  I used two wires in parallel for
the common motor wire to effectively have #13 for that.
The rotor cable hangs from a Kellems type grip at the top
of the tower.

I have been extremely pleased with this system.

Rick N6RK