[TowerTalk] Antenna Loads on Rohn Tower (45g in this case)

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Sun Dec 9 13:29:49 EST 2012

>  I have 80' of Rohn 45g installed per 90 mhp specs ( I live  in a county
with a wind speed rating of 85mph).  The Rohn catalog  states I can have
14.5 square feet of antenna at the top, which I do in the  form of a F12
C31 tribander and F12 D240 2 2 element 40m beam.

>  I'd like to stack another C31 at 40' just above the first  set of guys.

>  Can the tower handle that?  It seems like lots of  stations do this with
no failures.  Short of an engineer looking at  this, what is the groups
thoughts on this?

Hiya, Rich --

    No sweat. You forgot to add in the deducted  square footage per the
Rohn drawing. General Note #4 says that they've already  deducted 8.0 square
feet for a symmetrical (commercial) antenna mount. So add it  into the 14.5
and you're good to go.

    And yes, hams tend to load up Rohn towers and  fortunately they'll take
a fair amount of abuse with not much of a problem.

Cheers & GL,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH -
Professional tower services for amateurs
Cell: 206-890-4188