[TowerTalk] beam antenna truss

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Dec 23 21:22:19 EST 2012

On 12/23/2012 8:30 PM, Patrick Greenlee wrote:
> Don't use nylon as it is too stretchy.  Don't use polypropylene as it
> lacks UV resistance (Good water ski rope though) Dacron is a good very
> low stretch rope, preferably treated for UV resistance but you can put a
> sleeve over it like cut from a throwaway garden hose .  You can cover
> the knots with black silicone caulk and prevent the knots from
> weathering.  Phillystran is an excellent material but...don't clamp it
> or tie it in a knot.  Use the approved methods of terminating it: 1. the
> Chinese finger grabber type grips or the 2. the two part catalyzed
> potting system. Not really practical to use the grips on a really short
> piece of Phillystran.  some argue against a conductive material but
> commercial antennas use conductive material often. If you have the
> ability to do the math or perform the tests you can find out what the
> effect of a conductive material is.

For a relatively light weight boom I'd not hesitate to use clamps, but
remember you will lose about 50% of the rated strength.  I use 3 clamps
  and a minimum torque, or clamping force for the small Phillystran.  I
would prefer the potted ends when using larger cable and heavier booms.
  OTOH with long booms and lower frequencies the "Big Grip" ends should
not create a problem.  Multiple trusses for the long boom.  I don't
think they would be a problem on 20, but won't offer a guarantee.  <:-))

73

Roger (K8RI)