[TowerTalk] beam antenna truss

Grant Saviers grants2 at pacbell.net
Mon Dec 24 00:06:25 EST 2012

Dave Leeson W6NL, in "Physical Design of Yagi Antennas" (check Amazon)
advises that trusses should resist sway in two planes - horizontal and
vertical.  Wind up/down drafts can cause as many problems as side on
force.  Particularly since hams like to place antennas on top of hills.
So to really stabilize for wind loads a minimum of three guys are
needed.  Two above or below the boom on outriggers perpendicular to the
boom and one on the opposite side of the boom to the mast.

Of course, if you have enough wind strength and are only reducing the
boom weight stress, only one truss is needed.  For booms that is
possible, but it is unlikely for elements - wind loads usually are
significantly higher the the weight load.  If your site has significant
icing, it is potentially another big weight load to manage.

Another piece of advice from him was to guy long elements at 6 to 12"
each side of the boom to reduce the element swaying motion on the
boom.   These could be integrated into a three truss boom support, two
upward to a crossbar on the mast above the boom and one down to the
mast.  I think Phillystran is the best choice for all of these.

Grant KZ1W