[TowerTalk] balanced line loss on a mismatched antenna

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Tue Feb 28 11:04:51 PST 2012

>"You'd be way better off with just a dipole (EZNEC says 22 - j600 ohms for a 44 foot element) and either..."

I agree with Dave's loss numbers for 44 ft element length.

However, before giving up and using a shortened 44 ft. dipole, you may want to see if there's a way get the elements lengthened close to a halfwave and still keep spacing at 0.1 wavelength.   Perhaps bring the ends down if you're maxed-out on horizontal space.  If you can, then you can use my prior message as a guide for system loss.  I would still model it with the hanging ends.  Otherwise, the 44 ft length on 40m is going to be a real looser with the 8KJ as the added element really drives the impedance down from mutual coupling and the short element length makes it too reactive to keep losses low, even when trying to match at the feedpoint.

Paul, W9AC