[TowerTalk] Rohn GA55GD on top brace?

TexasRF at aol.com TexasRF at aol.com
Thu Jan 19 05:42:03 PST 2012

Hi Bryan, the only change to 55G sections over the past 30 years or so (in
my recollection) is the Z brace bending radius has increased. This is most
likely a change to make the Z bracing more resistant to work hardening and
subsequent fracture failure.

This is absolute guess work on my part and may have no merit at all. I have
 used 55G with both types of Z braces and the older version does seem more
resistant to torque forces. This is noticeable mainly on rotating towers
where  there is no method of using guy assemblies to reduce tower torque
caused by  large antennas mounted directly to the tower sections.

I am not suggesting this is a problem; merely an observation.

In your case, does the guy assembly fit the bottom of the next section? If
so, that might be a good location and gets some torque forces off of the
leg  bolts/joints at that location. Not that it is a problem, but every little
bit  helps.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 1/19/2012 6:59:06 A.M. Central Standard Time,