[TowerTalk] Ameriton RCS4 and N Connectors

Charlie Gallo Charlie at TheGallos.com
Sat Jul 7 19:26:45 PDT 2012

Hi Gang,
NOT critical, but has anyone changed a RCS-4 over to N connectors?  I've read all the pros/cons of N connectors here, but I've pretty much have decided that where I can/as I can, I'm replacing al my PL/SO-259s with N connectors, and was wondering is anyone converted this unit

BTW - the Reason?  Last year, I had "issues" with my 80m antenna on Field Day (I run from home - class 1E), and  I THOUGHT I had it fixed.  I don't run a lot of 80m (It is a short antenna, low, but it is the best I can do on my city lot).  Anyway, This year, it failed again, but the GOOD news was it didn't go intermittent, it failed hard.  The failure was at the junction from the Buryflex to the lighter coax going up in the air to my 80m dipole (600w max on the traps, so...).  The AMP brand UHF barrel connector had failed - the spring fingers that grip the center conductor had become extremely loose on one side - non conducting!  I decided that at least in that connector, I wanted to put in a female and male pair, and get rid of the barrel, and the best way to do that was with N connectors (I did think about 7-16 din, but)

--
73 de KG2V - Charles Gallo
Quality Custom Machine-shop work for the radio amateur (sm)

My Website: http://www.thegallos.com