[TowerTalk] help with rohn 25g bracket mount

EZ Rhino EZRhino at fastmovers.biz
Mon Jul 16 16:39:47 PDT 2012

Correct, "veneer" brick is ridiculously easy to tear down.  We did a remodel and removed some brick in the front, did it all with a small sledge hammer and I could not believe how easy it came apart!!  Now a concrete filled cinderblock wall is something different....

You probably don't want to hear this, but support it the way it was designed....with guys!  I'm not a fan of supporting towers using a building, unless it's only for a 2m Jpole or something unsubstantial.

Chris
KF7P

On Jul 16, 2012, at 17:33 , Missouri Guy wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 15:13:33 -0400 "k2vi" <k2vi at cox.net> writes:
> Im going to errect a 38' rohn tower next to my house. The house is
> brick exterior. Should i drill straight through the brick into the
> attic then put a 2x6 across or just used 6 anchors made for brick
> that expand and just lock em in with 3/8 all thread.

Hi Tony,

It would be best to go thru to your attic.  Spread
the load with the 2x6 fastened over several studs...I think
you were going to do that.  More....

The brick, probably just a "brick veneer"  (like
on my house) is secured with "brick ties" that are nailed through to
the wall studs, then grouted into the various courses as they
are layed.  So, personally, I wouldn't trust the brick to
lend any substantial support.  When you do go through to your
attic, keep in mind that there would normally be an air space between
the back of the brick and the sheathing.  So, you would
NOT want to over-tightnen the bolts.  You should consider
placing washers and nuts on the BACK of the 2x6, so there's
no load on the brick, brick ties, etc when the nuts on the
FRONT are tightened.  Finish the connection with washers
and nuts on the front of the 2x6.  Doing that will place
all the load on just the wall studs, both inward and outward
stress.  Again, use a long 2x6 spanning over several wall
studs for the "ultimate" support.

Just my "barbershop" advice.  :D)

73,
Charlie, N0TT