[TowerTalk] 10'roof tower

Kathy Bookmiller wb2aio at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 19:25:27 PDT 2012

Chuck,
I bought a 10'tripod 2 summers ago and am well pleased with it. Have Hygain Ex14 on it and a Cushcraft WARC dipole (forget the #)
I paid about $180 for it and it has held up well-I'll attach a photo if I have any on this computer.
Now the bad news-it didn't come with a manufacturers name on it! Who ever makes it, has been around a long time as I bought one of these same units 40 years ago like many other youngsters around here did and everyone put tri-banders on them and never heard of any failing- Some could anchor it the proper way with threaded rods to 2x6's under the rafters but I don't have access to my attic on the 3rd floor as it has a plaster ceiling that I don't want to damage as it has a special finish coat application that wouldn't be able to duplicate so I instead attached the legs to pressure treated 5/4 x 6 deck boards and then put bags of concrete mix on top of them to add weight. Plus I ran a guy rope to each corner of the roof it sits on (4) and it has taken some pretty decent 50mph winds and has stayed in place.
The last time I was in the emporium, I didn't see any more of these units on the floor and asked and the owner said he had more in the barn but since they move so slow nowadays with radio activity being for old folks (moi!) that he didn't want to take up any showroom space putting one out again-but he does have some left.
It doesn't have a rotator plate-years ago I used angle iron with wood blocks crossing over to the ladder side to bump it up even with the side braces. This time I bought a Rohn 25 rotator plate on Ebay and remounted a couple of side braces-drill out the rivets and used bolt/nuts to get them even and the Rohn plate fit nicely on it.
I knew this was how I was going to get an antenna up in the air here and we have a simple tower requirement in my town-it has to be able to fall within one's property lines and with a 46 x150' lot, a 23'tower would be pretty short:) i looked on the net and couldn't find anything reasonable and stopped in this place and when I saw it, I bought it without having an antenna to put on it, I was so pleased to see one of these units again.
The place I got it is Hirsch Electronics Sales Co. 219 California Dr. Williamsville, NY 14221 phone is 716 632-1189
With my 3 story, 100 year old house, it gets the antenna up to 50'.
73,
Kathy, W2NK

Greetings

     A friend of mine is looking for about a 10 foot tripod to mount a 5
element 6 meter beam on his roof with and I would like your input as to
what to recommend to him.  He needs it to be unguyed and able to mount a
rotor shelf in and fairly heavy-duty.  What do you all recommend?
Thanks, in advance.

Chuck  K?TVD - Missouri Valley, IA
www.dxham.net