[TowerTalk] Tower Re-Cabling

K7LXC at aol.com K7LXC at aol.com
Mon Jun 18 14:23:40 PDT 2012

>    My HyGain HG-70 needs new cables. Those on the  tower now are
galvanized
and as I recall these were recommended over  stainless steel.  The tower
uses
TWO 1/4 cables for the bottom and  middle section with ONE 3/16" cable for
the top section. Are there degrees  of durability, quality, longevity, with
respect to these cables?  I am  not talking about walking into Harbour
Freight or Home Depot and buying some  imported stuff. And there are local
shops that can make them to length with  the nico-pressed  ends.  But
beyond
that, what is the best cable  to use and is there a dealer where these are
available that one can rely on  getting quality cables that will last 5-7
years in a salt water/air  environment such as here in Florida?

    I'd always recommend following the LXC Prime  Directive to "DO what the
manufacturer says". Replace the cables with the same  size and type. I
don't know if any of them have cable lubricating guidance. (I  think UST says
not to lube the cables but they're not the manufacturer of the  wire rope and
the wire rope manufacturers say to lube them.)

    All crank-ups that I've come into contact with have  used 7x19
galvanized wire rope. I don't recommend using stainless steel cable  because SS when
moving can gall and put a kink in the cable - a fatal problem.

    There is another PreLube product - it's called  PreLube 19 and it
deposits a protective film on the cable. Here's what the  manufacturer says:

 Guy wire field treatment for corrosion protection of ski lift lines,
standing rigging, boom and pendant lines, marine tow lines, etc. Penetrates and
forms a corrosion-protecting film on wires and metal surfaces  Self-healing
skin—dry to the touch Displaces moisture

    This is the stuff for hostile environments. I've  got some in stock but
it's not currently on the website. I'll try to get it on  there in the near
future. In the meantime you can order it offline.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH
and