[TowerTalk] going under a drive way

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 30 06:47:10 PDT 2012

On 6/29/12 8:54 PM, Al Kozakiewicz wrote:
> That is really tempting, but you have to be careful.  Since you can't tell how much soil is being washed out relative to the pipe diameter, you could end up with a sinkhole.  Not some car swallowing monstrosity, but enough to cause a pothole and ruined driveway.
>
> Al
> AB2ZY

Yes indeed.. that's why digging a big hole next to the driveway so you
can see what size crater you are excavating/washing out under the
driveway is important.

What about some sort of horizontal boring scheme.  A big hammer drill
and something that looks like a spade bit or auger for wood, and some
extensions.  I can't say I've ever seen this, but at least you might be
able to control the size of the hole, and it's a "do it yourself" scale
project.