[TowerTalk] high tension power line noise...

Paul Christensen w9ac at arrl.net
Sat Mar 10 11:47:45 PST 2012

Gary,

If you look at my QTH on Google maps, you'll see an identical situation.  I
am about 700 ft away from three parallel 320KV EHV runs that come direct
from the Northside Jacksonville JEA plant.  The three feeders make a 90
degree turn at the point closest to my lot.

I've been here twelve years and by far most of my noise problems are
associated with appliances from my own home and properties adjacent to me.
Battling switch-mode QRM is a never-ending battle.  Either I'm replacing an
appliance, Or, I'm replacing one for a neighbor at my expense to keep
harmony.

At Dayton a couple years ago, W8JI and I discussed this matter in some
detail.  He told me that the utility companies had been replacing glazed
ceramic type insulators with a newer type.  Here, the new insulators are
much thinner than the older type.  The name of the new insulator type
escapes me at the moment, but W8JI would know.

Two years ago, I watched the crews replace insulators atop those 200 ft
towers near my QTH.  They could replace about a quarter mile of insulators
on three parallel runs in one day.

I think the bottom line is that the emitted noise is a reflection of the
amount of preventive maintenance received by the utility company.  The
higher the voltage, the more attention these lines usually get.  It's the
mile feeders that cause the majority of RFI arcing problems.  The EHV lines
here are extremely quiet even when the sound of corona can be heard hundreds
of yards away.  In reading through Loftus' book, corona is almost never an
RFI problem -- but arcing certainly is.   If you've got arcing across 320KV
insulators, the arcing probably does not last too long!

Paul, W9AC