[TowerTalk] Issue with Tri-Band Yagi SWR

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Mar 12 22:33:53 PDT 2012

On 3/13/2012 12:11 AM, Bob K6UJ wrote:
> If you haven't already I would disconnect the coax from the driven element connectors and hook up connect a portable SWR unit like the MFJ with a short coax jumper.
> Run the swr profile across the bands and see whet you get.  This would rule out the coax.  You said your coax was quite old It could be the problem.

"Normally" old, bad, coax will give you a better looking SWR, not a
higher one.  The more the loss the better it looks. Also bad coax would
tend to affect all bands the same or similarly. Bad coax connections
should also affect all bands.  Of course , shorts in the coax is
something different.

He already found water in the balun. I'd be suspicious of the traps.  Do
they have the drain holes on the bottom.  Are there drain holes. The
traps have been removed and reinstalled/ Are you sure they are oriented
properly?  IIRC a trap installed backwards will affect 10 the most, and
20 the least.  If so are the correct traps on the correct elements in
the correct order.  The traps are apparently clean.
IIRC Wilson only had a couple versions of their tribander, but the big
and little one were fed pretty much the same and I believe they could be
fed with a simple current/choke balun.

The only thing I can think of (because it affects 10 the most and 20 the
least) is the orientation of the traps. OTOH I don't claim to be very
knowledgeable about the Wilson. I used to sell them, but that was about
35 years ago and I'm happy to remember what I had for breakfast.

Good Luck es 73

Roger (K8RI)