[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 113, Issue 46 - Cell Tower Broadcast

Dan Cisson n4gnr at windstream.net
Thu May 24 14:07:26 PDT 2012

OBSERVATION----I watched the program also. I have been doing commercial
tower work for 29 years. I do
NO cell phone tower work. There is a HUGE difference from cell work, and
from all other tower work.
The cell tower industry is high pressure to get it done ASAP-Yesterday !!
Therefore, when the need for
adding help to climb and do the work,, the same applies-get someone NOW.
This is the first disaster,off the
street non-expierenced workers. And it shows with the records of deaths,,
all young inexpierenced "kids".
    The next thing that jumped out at me was that they claim that all climbs
are "secured"..Thats HOGWASH !!
Secured climbs are not always possible. Well, if you call climb up a step
and snap off, up a step and snap off
a secured climb, yes thats possible, but it would take quite a while to go
up 100 ft.  VERY FEW towers of
law enforcement and broadcast have an anti-fall cable in place, therefore,
most will free climb it. Again, you
could snap off one step at a time, and do a secured climb, but who would  ??
Free climbs are the norm,, about
all modern cell towers have fall arrest cables,, so from their industry,
they are generally clipped off while climbing.
    As far as my group,, my son and I are the only ones that climb,,I have 2
others that can climb safely when the job
size demands it.
    The gentleman from N.C. has got it right,, most towers are worthless
unless you are qualified to get it down,
and its value is greater to someone that hires out to get it down. 100 ft of
Rohn 25G is almost worthless now
if it is standing...Unless you can do it safely yourself.     Dan Cisson,,
GNR Tower,, Toccoa, Ga.