[TowerTalk] 2 el 40m beams

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Fri May 25 08:32:22 PDT 2012

I have a number of Cushcraft 40's 1 40-2CD that was up for about 20
years on top of a 70ft tower in Colorado on top of a hill.  I pinned the
elements and cap hats but it was in one piece when it came down last
year.  They improved the survivability of the XM240 with some inserts
etc.  I have one in Montana at 65 ft and one in Colorado at about 85
ft.  Both are still up.  Once again I pinned the elements and cap hats.
Still up and in good shape.  The Montana version sits in the wind almost
constantly and has survived 80mph winds on a number of occasions.  The
only regret I have on the Montana XM240 is that I did not ground the
reflector and when a T-storm approaches you can hear and sometimes see
the static discharging from the element tot he mounting bracket and it
creates a heck of a lot of noise on the radio!

The Montana stuff is being taken down and moved to Colorado this
summer.  I will probably turn one of the 40's into a moxon.

Mike W0MU

W0MU-1 CC Cluster w0mu.net:23 or w0mu-1.dnsdynamic.com
Http://www.w0mu.com