[TowerTalk] 2 el 40m beams

Gene Fuller w2lu at rochester.rr.com
Fri May 25 11:40:15 PDT 2012

The four longest elements on my 7-60 MHz LP are about 45 feet with linear
"plytubular" construction. The "center" tubes (+/-) are 10 feet of 1 5/8" OD
with three successively  smaller tubes inserted tubes inserted. I used about
a foot of Extren  solid rod for the break where the loading - 1/8" copper
tubing is attached  and run back towards the boom. The center of the element
is supported by a 4 foot piece of 4 inch aluminum channel U bolted onto a 46
foot, heavy wall irrigation tube boom with overhead support.  Everything is
either aluminum, SS, or Lexan except for the PVC tubing and U bolts that
clamp the elements onto their channel supports.

The design was for 100 mph wind, with 1/2 inch of ice, and a minimum of 10%
safety factor and  has been at 100 feet with winds at least 85 mph, for
about 12 years, with no problems. One of the nice things re using the
plytubular design is that it helps keep the element OD and thus the wind and
ice load down.

Lots of aluminum, but I sleep  well on stormy nights.

Gene / W2LU