[TowerTalk] Fwd: Attach a PL-259 to a 1/2" hardline

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Wed Nov 7 23:49:48 EST 2012

On 11/7/2012 10:28 PM, Kelly Taylor wrote:
> One thing I considered but never tried was simply using a double-female UHF
> adapter, with the centre conductor of the hardline exposed so that when it
> fit into one end of the adapter the end of the adapter was up against the
> aluminum jacket. Then 1/2-inch ID aluminum tubing slitted at both ends could
> be compressed into the jacket and adapter threads with hose clamps.

I've never tried it, but "I think" the jacket is both thin enough and
soft enough it could be compressed onto the connector with out slitting.
You also might be able to turn a couple of brass or hard aluminum alloy
to press over the ends to hold the jacket tight onto the fitting.  It'd
take some experimenting as there probably isn't more than 1 or 2
thousandths between too loose and too tight for the rings.

Or skin the threads off so it'd make a tight fit inside.

> There might need to be some work done to the centre conductor of the
> hardline to ensure a snug fit and it probably needs some kind of oxide

3/4" hard line fits just fine. The half inch is a bit small for a direct
fit.  OTOH you might be able to redo the center connector so it would
clamp onto a smaller center connector.

> inhibitor between the aluminum and the body of the adapter, as well as good
> waterproofing.

73

Roger (K8RI)