[TowerTalk] hardline bending radius

Steve Maki lists at oakcom.org
Sun Nov 18 18:36:28 EST 2012

On 11/18/2012 5:22 PM, Jim Lux wrote:

>>>   Does anyone have a good idea of minimum bending radius for  the 1/2
>>> inch
>> cable TV hardline? I have been told anything from 5" to 50". I
>> believe 5"
>> is way  too sharp but 50"??? I sure that 50" would not cause any
>> problems
>> with the cable but ...

>>      I recollect that the minimum bending radius for all  coaxes is 6
>> times
>> the diameter. For 1/2" RG-8, that'd be 3 inches.

> I think that's for coax with braided shield (the RG-8, RG-213) kind.

Right. Hardline, whether corrugated or smooth wall, is usually specified
at 10 times diameter = minimum bend radius.

BTW, RG-8 is really 3/8" coax, so if 6xD is the spec, it should be OK
wound on a 4.5" coil form for example. I would be concerned though about
foam dielectric RG8 though on that small of a form.

-Steve K8LX