[TowerTalk] hardline bending radius

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Nov 18 21:50:54 EST 2012

On 11/18/2012 6:36 PM, Steve Maki wrote:

>>> cable TV hardline? I have been told anything from 5" to 50". I
>>> believe 5"
>>> is way  too sharp but 50"??? I sure that 50" would not cause any
>>> problems
>>> with the cable but ...
>
>>>      I recollect that the minimum bending radius for all  coaxes is 6
>>> times
>>> the diameter. For 1/2" RG-8, that'd be 3 inches.
>
>> I think that's for coax with braided shield (the RG-8, RG-213) kind.
>
> Right. Hardline, whether corrugated or smooth wall, is usually specified
> at 10 times diameter = minimum bend radius.

The LMR series is notably less than typical while the UF versions have
an even shorter minimum bend radius.  I think standard LMR-400 is only
one inch, non repeatable, but they have the minimum radius, both
repeatable and non repeatable listed on their site.  Don't depend on my
memory!

73

Roger (K8RI)