[TowerTalk] Crank up tower bracing rubbing against cable

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 19 16:36:38 EDT 2012

When I encountered the rubbing years ago on my Tristao 71 foot crank up I
spoke with Lou Tristao who was probably the leading expert on crank up
towers.  Lou said there was very little room between the braces for the
cable.
He did check all towers for this before shipping.  He believed that shipping
or later moving a tower was the most likely cause.  He cautioned about
bending the braces out too far as this would cause the tower to catch.

I am familiar with Tristao and US Towers but the Rohn crank ups had the same
problem.  I helped a fellow put up a 51 footer and he cranked it and up and
down several times a year.  He did not notice that the cable was rubbing and
in the midst of cranking it down the cable broke and the tower collapsed and
he bruised his hand and arm on the winch crank.

You can easily tell on a Tristao or US Tower if this is occurring as strands
of the cable will break.  Be careful running your hand over the cable as the
broken strands are sharp.  I recommend replacing the cable (usually just
that piece) if this happens after correcting the brace or braces.

73 Dave K4JRB