[TowerTalk] Brown colored galvanized surface?

Doug Scribner dscribner at myfairpoint.net
Wed Sep 12 16:22:16 EDT 2012

      From the following site:

      http://www.galv.co.uk/appearanceguide.html

      A thin brown surface staining sometimes occurs in service when the
galvanized coating comprises entirely zinc-iron alloys as discussed under
'Dull grey coating'

      1.Dull Grey Coating
      General comment:Acceptable.
      A dull grey appearance is caused by growth of the zinc-iron alloy
layers through to the surface of the galvanized coating. Grey coating may
appear as localized dull patches or lacework patterns on an otherwise normal
galvanized coating or may extend over the entire surface. Dull grey coatings
usually occur on steels with relatively high silicon content which are
highly reactive to molten zinc.
      Dull grey coating are often thicker than the normal bright or spangled
coatings and therefore give longer life. It is rarely possible for the
galvanizer to minimise or control the development of dull grey coatings
which is dependent basically on steel composition.

      Doug - K1ZO