[TowerTalk] Brown colored galvanized surface?

Tim Duffy K3LR k3lr at k3lr.com
Wed Sep 12 16:52:02 EDT 2012

Hi Steve:

It is possibly COR-TEN steel.

Weathering steel, best-known under the trademark COR-TEN steel and sometimes
written without the hyphen as "Corten steel", is a group of steel alloys
which were developed to eliminate the need for painting, and form a stable
rust-like appearance if exposed to the weather for several years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weathering_steel

The US Steel building in Pittsburgh is made out of Cor-ten steel

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1378258/Pittsburghs-tallest-building
-US-Steel-Tower-sold-250m.html

Back in the middle 80's my office was located at the base of WKBN-TV,
Youngstown, Ohio. A 1500 ft guyed tower made entirely of COR-TEN steel.

COR-TEN looks horrible (rusty) - but it has benefits (less maintenance).

73,
Tim K3LR