[TowerTalk] Winch recommendation sought

Jon Pearl - W4ABC jonpearl at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Sep 16 14:47:00 EDT 2012

Hi Dick.

The first thing that comes to mind when I think of hauling varying or
longer lengths of rope than the typical winch or hoist spool can handle
would be that of a capstan winch.  I did a quick search for the term
'capstan winch' and came up with a lot of sources but the bottom of the
following page gives some insight into some possible capabilities and
uses by just one manufacturer:
http://www.powerwinch.com/powerwinch/PowerwinchCatalog.pdf

Of course, beyond what's captured in the catalog above there are also
several portable 4 cycle powered versions listed on the web, many of
which can be attached to a hitch receiver, tree or utility pole.  There
are many rescue type pulleys that are more than capable of doing the job
at hand at the top of the tower
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dsporting&field-keywords=Rescue+Pulley#
They can be 'attached' at any point without having to thread the entire
length of line through the pulley and are way overrated for what you're
looking to haul up the tower.

Maybe Steve, K7LXC will chime in here with some suggestions on what
might work for you in the way of a product that will give you some value
for intermittent use over a period of years.

73,

Jon Pearl - W4ABC
www.w4abc.com