[TowerTalk] Winch recommendation sought

Dick Dievendorff dieven at comcast.net
Sun Sep 16 13:04:28 EDT 2012

I need to install a heavy ring rotator up at about 60' and the motor weighs
more than I can lift easily with a rope, even with a 2:1 mechanical
advantage. I could go to 4:1 with a lot more rope.

I'm considering an electric winch that I could temporarily attach near the
top of the tower and have it pull heavy stuff up.  Maybe up to a couple
hundred pounds.  Most of the winches I find don't have much cable or room
for much cable.  I think I want about 75'.  Do any of my Tower Talk
colleagues have a recommendation for this?

At someone else's station I used a hand crank winch to pull up a heavy piece
of rotator to guys up on the tower.  That's a good second choice, a manual
crank attached at the base of the tower. But then I'd need about 150' of
cable and room on the spool for at least half that.

Dick, K6KR