[TowerTalk] CDwelding a tower leg

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Sep 17 13:04:56 EDT 2012

On 9/17/2012 7:52 AM, Frank wrote:
> Nope, never been hit by lightning in over 30 years of hamming.
> Evidently you have had that misfortune.

You've been lucky.  It should also be pointed out that lightning
activity varies widely (a couple of orders of magnitude) with
geography.  Here in coastal California, there's FAR less than in most
parts of the US, but I've still taken an indirect hit (to something
nearby, not me), and it was before I had a tower up. Years ago, I took
an indirect hit in Chicago that took out the microprocessor in a CD
player. No visible damage to anything.  I wasn't on the air in those
years, and the voltage/current was probably induced on stereo hookup
cables.

73, Jim K9YC