[TowerTalk] Mast vs. R45G part deux

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Apr 19 23:39:19 EDT 2013

On 4/19/2013 3:26 PM, K7LXC at aol.com wrote:
> Howdy, TowerTalkians --
>
>      Tnx for your inputs but I think I need to  describe what I want to do
> in more detail.
>
>      There is a heavy 20' mast sticking out of  the top of a pointy top 45G.
> What I want to know is if by lowering the mast down  thru the middle of the
> tower, if at some point you can exit the mast thru the  face of a tower
> section?  I haven't tried it and doubt if it could be done  but I wanted to see
> if someone in the group has done it or attempted it.  Tnx.

I use 24' lengths of 2" DOM in both 45G and 25G. I think You'd have to
remove 2, if not three consecutive cross braces to feed one out the
side.  IIRC one isn't enough as there is very little bending moment in
the mast.

We has one slip out of the grab. It made it all the way to the bottom
with no problem and didn't appear to even bounce off any braces although
it did hit the guy anchor rings on the way by.

73

Roger  (K8RI)