[TowerTalk] Mast vs. R45G part deux

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Apr 20 02:59:59 EDT 2013

On 4/19/2013 6:38 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> Don, K4ZA rigged a very elegant device using a basketball hoop to manage
> a tall mast while raising it with a gin pole and dropping it down
> through a thrust bearing. Don't have any pix here but maybe Don can oblige.

You use a ring at the top of the gin pole. when you raise the mast that
ring keeps the mast from turning over when at the top of the lift.

A ring just above the thrust bearing also aids the operation.

When lifting mast you have to stay above the balance point to keep the
mast vertical.  The hoops aid in keeping it vertical and in essence it's
like gaining a couple more feet of pole.

It's not with out risk and it's not without additional effort, and it
does take a bit more skill, but I've use this approach many times.
Currently I use a 24' gin pole with a two piece mount.  It's heavy, so
the extra reach which is very handy and convenient does take more effort

The pole is a stock length of either 1/8", 3/16", or 1/4" wall 6061-T6
depending on what I need for strength. Normally the 1/8" is plenty
strong if the pole isn't running extended.  It'd probably be handy to
use a half length piece with 1/8" wall as it'd be about a 1/4 of the
weight of the 24' X 2" X 1/4"

73

Roger  (K8RI)
\