[TowerTalk] HyGain DCU 1

Kenneth Goodwin krgoodwin at comcast.net
Thu Aug 8 12:28:51 EDT 2013

I agree that the controller is probably toast.  I would highly recommend a
Green Heron RT-21.  It  uses TVS devices which saved my controller with a
recent near field lightning hit (at the expense of the 50 cent TVS diodes).
I had the computer on a UPS with the cable (Internet) protected by a gas
discharge device grounded at the AC service entrance but the computer
chassis wasn't directly grounded to the RF (shack) single point ground so
whatever radio equipment was connected to the computer was fried (ground
loop), essentially all of the data interfaces.  USB ports are especially
sensitive.

Make a claim on your house insurance?  Wait until the Hurricane Sandy
outcome hits the Northeast.  In Texas on new policies, the minimum
deductible is 1% and is going to 2% - you can do the math.  Making a claim
against one's home insurance is vapor ware unless you have nothing but a
slab left.  And even then for events like Katrina, Ike and Sandy as Florida
experienced, the insurance companies change the rules saying it's a disaster
and unilaterally raise the deductibles.   Ken K5RG

Message: 1