[TowerTalk] Comparing Hi-Z Receive Arrays and KB7GF Shared Apex Loop

David Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 13 12:21:43 EDT 2013

That 80 X 80 foot requirement puts the HIz receiving array out of the reach
of many using small loops like the K9AY on city lots.

W4NU has something like the HIz which use uses on 160.  He had to clear out
a lot of land to use it.  As I recall about 1 acre.

I tried snakes and small loops but replaced them with a Shielded Link loop
described by AB0X in a 1989 CQ.  My shielded link was made from RG58 and
laid on my roof.  I did install a single K9AY loop with Gary's help in about
1994.  Broadside NE and SW and fed with RG8X to a P-408 Palomar Pre-amp at
the shack.  Beat the shielded loop om most DX and lasted until last year
when a tree branch brought most of it down.

WF4W told me he liked the Pixel Loop several years ago.  I understand he is
installing beverages now that he lives on a large property way outside of
Atlanta.

73 Dave K4JRB