[TowerTalk] 2 inch Mast versus schedule 80 pipe?

GARY HUBER glhuber at msn.com
Mon Aug 19 21:58:59 EDT 2013

Environment:  50 foot AGL Rohn 45G flat top bracketed @ 23 feet, T2X TailTwister  on  Rohn rotor shelf,  Rohn 2 inch bearing, Hy-Gain TH-7 1 – 2 feet above bearing, with boom support (3 feet above boom).

I’ve had a ten foot section of 2 inch schedule 40 galvanized pipe in  a similar (tapered top – exception) environment for close to thirty years. I’m now getting ready to replace the existing tower with new, cables, rotor, antenna, etc.  Maximum intended life of the new installation: No more than 15 years

Thus far I have not found a source with specifications of 2 inch mast tube and have been looking at galvanized pipe again, either schedule 40 or schedule 80.  I took a S.W.A.G. the last time and was fresh from working at a steam power plant where we worked with pipes daily. That knowledge is gone; anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for a rotor mast carrying 75 pounds, 12 sq feet, and 240 pound wind load at 80 MPH? tube or pipe, sched 40 or sched 80, where to buy?

Best regards,

CSM(r) Gary L Huber – AB9M
9679 Heron Bay Road
Bloomington, IL 61705