[TowerTalk] 2 inch Mast versus schedule 80 pipe?

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Aug 19 23:34:57 EDT 2013

On 8/19/2013 9:58 PM, GARY HUBER wrote:
> Environment:  50 foot AGL Rohn 45G flat top bracketed @ 23 feet, T2X TailTwister  on  Rohn rotor shelf,  Rohn 2 inch bearing, Hy-Gain TH-7 1 – 2 feet above bearing, with boom support (3 feet above boom).
>
> I’ve had a ten foot section of 2 inch schedule 40 galvanized pipe in  a similar (tapered top – exception) environment for close to thirty years. I’m now getting ready to replace the existing tower with new, cables, rotor, antenna, etc.  Maximum intended life of the new installation: No more than 15 years

2" DOM is far stronger and resistant to bending than schedule 40 pipe.

DOM Characteristics: http://www.speedymetals.com/information/material17.html

I use 24' sections with end caps of 1/4" steel welded in place and
machined flat.  I use an 18" section of 2 1/2" as a splice with 6 SS cap
screws on each end.

73

Roger (K8RI)