[TowerTalk] TowerTalk 5-/72 ohms

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 14 14:22:43 EST 2013

On 12/14/13 10:03 AM, Pfizenmayer wrote:
> Awww gee - I thought HE made antenna tuners so one could present a 1:1
> load to the transmitter so one could  tune up their amp into a 1:1 dummy
> load and just switch over to the tuner /antenna without having to touch
> the amp and avoid the endless tuning on air, esspcially on the DX
> freq.  Some people however never did get the message.
>
> Hank K7HP

This is a good point.. what the amplifier output network does is tune
the decidedly non 50 ohm output impedance of the amplifier which is
frequency and drive dependent as well to 50 ohms.
The antenna tuner changes the non-50 ohm impedance of the antenna system
to 50 ohms also, so you CAN just flip a switch.

The whole thing would work equally well if you tuned up into a 75+10j
dummy load, and adjusted the antenna tuner to present a 75+10j ohm
impedance as well.

Or, you can use the single output network in the amp and "absorb" the
antenna tuner effects into it.