[TowerTalk] Caps (was: Hose Clamps)

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Feb 1 14:58:29 EST 2013

On 2/1/2013 10:49 AM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> Certainly it is possible for an insect nest to close off a tube however a

Unfortunately it's not.  As I said in an earlier post, I've seen towers
felled by a spider web.  It's rare, but it happens

> PVC end cap will definitely seal the end and possibly trap moisture.
> Usually the ends of the elements and boom are the lowest points of the
> antenna so it could be full of water. Somehow my previous post on what I
> do with my homebrew antennas caused mostly criticism. I know that Telrex
> did not supply end caps with the products that I purchased from them years
> ago and they built heavy duty antennas. I am not sure what other
> manufacture's do. This is my last comment on this subject.

Likewise, I've never used end caps on elements and had no
problems...well other than a 5L KLM on a tower at the East end of the
house over in Breckenridge MI.  It was NOISY!  Man, but those elements
did sing and at times, buzz.

I had 5L on 20, 6L on 15 (KLMs) and a 7L on 10 (Wilson) on separate
towers. pair of phased 1/4 wave verticals on 40 with half wave spacing
for a pair of figure 8 patterns. It probably would have worked better
with 1/4 wave spacing so I could have gotten nulls off the back when
working Europe
Booms had end caps and weep holes but nothing on the elements.  You
should have seen those elements after the big ice storm back in the
70's.  The element tips were pointing almost straight down, yet nothing
broke.

Over half a mile of power line collapsed just to the West of us while
the line across the field to the pole with the transformer was sagging
to about 3 feet off the ground (maximum span)

We spent nearly two weeks without power and ended up with over a foot of
water in a finished basement.

None of the station was damaged, but that was one cold house for two
weeks. not many of us had generators back in those days.

73

Roger (K8RI)