[TowerTalk] Thrust bearing question

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Feb 7 10:44:45 EST 2013

2 points with the first beingm John is correct, a 16' mast putting the
antenna 16' above the top of the tower substantially derates the tower
below the 18 sq ft original rating.

The other is, you already have a thrust bearing in the form of that
sleeve.  It wont support vertical load, but that sleeve will
substantially reduce any lateral/side load on the rotator produced by
the leverage of the mast. the sleeve will serve as a pivot point with
16' above it and 5' below it for a 16:5  ratio for lateral force on the
rotator, or slightly less than 4:1 which is a big number.  Fortunately
the sleeve limits the pivot ability with most of the load showing up as
lateral load on the tower.  Thats good for the rotator, but for the
tower? Not so much.

Assuming you install an antenna of 18 sq ft which is the tower rating,
with 18' of antenna 16' above the top of the tower that is 18'
multiplied by a 16' arm.  So the tower is going to see much more than 18
sq ft of load..

The rotator was already designed to support a substantial vertical load
so the bearing capable of supporting a vertical load is not necessary,
but sure is handy if you need to work on the rotator without taking all
the antennas down.  OTOH you can build a simple fixture to hold the mast
in that case

IE "to me" 16' sounds like a bit much.

73 and good luck

Roger (K8RI)