[TowerTalk] Thrust bearing question

Jon Pearl - W4ABC jonpearl at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Feb 7 12:10:05 EST 2013

Hi Roger and Mike.

On 2/7/2013 10:44 AM, K8RI wrote:

> 2 points with the first beingm John is correct, a 16' mast putting the
> antenna 16' above the top of the tower substantially derates the tower
> below the 18 sq ft original rating.

I've yet to finalize the spacing between the HF, six and two meter
antennas but I may well find some economy of space, allowing me to drop
the rotator further down into the tower.  I can't make it lighter but I
can make it stiffer by shortening it's effective length above the top of
the tower.

> The other is, you already have a thrust bearing in the form of that
> sleeve.

I guess that's the point I was trying to rationalize between my own two
ears.  I received another email privately that essentially said the same
thing.

> It wont support vertical load, but that sleeve will substantially
> reduce any lateral/side load on the rotator produced by the leverage
> of the mast.

The M2 OR2800 is rated at 1800# vertical load and it incorporates a
Center Guide (cone) for the mast to rest on.  It's been a while since
I've looked at the slop between the present mast that's on the tower and
the sleeve.  If it's substantial then a thrust bearing might be of
service, if only to cut down on the lateral movement.

> the sleeve will serve as a pivot point with 16' above it and 5' below
> it for a 16:5  ratio for lateral force on the rotator, or slightly
> less than 4:1 which is a big number.  Fortunately the sleeve limits
> the pivot ability with most of the load showing up as lateral load on
> the tower.  Thats good for the rotator, but for the tower? Not so much.

Yes, I've looked at the same ratio and it may change.

> Assuming you install an antenna of 18 sq ft which is the tower rating,
> with 18' of antenna 16' above the top of the tower that is 18'
> multiplied by a 16' arm.  So the tower is going to see much more than
> 18 sq ft of load..

The actual numbers from bottom to top are 9.25 sq. ft., 2.5 sq. ft., &
2.7 sq.ft.

> The rotator was already designed to support a substantial vertical
> load so the bearing capable of supporting a vertical load is not
> necessary, but sure is handy if you need to work on the rotator
> without taking all the antennas down.  OTOH you can build a simple
> fixture to hold the mast in that case

When it's all horizontal at waist level, it's all much more manageable.

> IE "to me" 16' sounds like a bit much.
>
> 73 and good luck
>
> Roger (K8RI)

Thanks again and 73,