[TowerTalk] Wire lubricant for cable pull thru conduit

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Feb 26 08:44:19 EST 2013

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 18:20:01 -0500
From: "Tom KD8DEG" <kd8deg at centurytel.net>
To: "Grant Saviers" <grants2 at pacbell.net>, "Dick Dievendorff"
<dieven at comcast.net>
Cc: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Wire lubricant for cable pull thru conduit
Hi Dick!!!

Pulled telephone cable for many years in all types of conduit.

Go to this site http://www.polywater.com/, I found this to be the best lube,
and when it drys out there is nothing left of it. Most any electrical supply
house carries it.

Also I would stager that many cables about 5 to10 inches down, depending on
the size of the cable, on the main cable. Start with the second cable down
5 to 7 inches, then the next 5 to 7 inches and so on with the rest. If you
do have trouble at a bend this will make it easier than trying to get the
whole head through the bend all at once.

KD8DEG Tom

##  staggering is an excellent idea.  Not taping the bundle  every few feet as VE6JY suggests
is also a superb idea, then the cables lay flatter in the conduit.  What else works good is to
use 4 inch conduit, and stay away from the 2 and 3 inch stuff.

##  I remember the electricians at work using this stuff, think it was called yellow 77  or similar.
Came in huge pails, and applied to the 500 mcm cables they were pulling through conduit. This
was for a generator out in the parking lot.   I think the grease stayed intact for years.  It not only
protects the cable sheaths from moisture, it also stays slippery for when the next cable is pulled
on top of the 1st one.   Looked like butter.

Jim  VE7RF