[TowerTalk] Water in buried conduit

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Feb 26 11:45:08 EST 2013

On 2/26/2013 9:05 AM, Bill Ogden wrote:
> You will have water in the conduit. I had my sections well glued, the exit
> points turned downward, etc, etc.  A year later I pulled a rag through and
> it was soaking wet.  (Didn't seem to hurt the coax or control cables.) My
> initial conduit was too small (and too wet).  I replaced it with 4"
> sections and drilled bottom 1/4" holes somewhat randomly and especially at
> low spots. Set the conduit on a little gravel/stone/etc.  Mine seems
> reasonably dry now, with just a hint of moisture on a rag.
>
> Be certain to critter proof the conduit openings.

I said I'd forget to mention things.  It's noy finished in the ohoyo,
but the last photo  on
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/cablebox.htm shows the
termination box at the base of the tower. The cables leave the conduit
here and exit the boc through either bulkhead connectors or compression
fitting which just grip the cable jacket . they are both moisture and
critter proof.  The house end is shown in photos 3 and 4 of the same
page, although that has been replaced with a larger box.

73

Roger (K8RI)
   I simply stuffed a few