[TowerTalk] Water in buried conduit

Bill Ogden ogden at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 26 15:46:48 EST 2013

I assumed the water in my conduit was from condensation. It could probably
be prevented by a perfect pneumatic seal on each end, but this is not
trivial to do. Changing air pressure and the different air temperatures
below ground and above ground would probably tend to have a bellows
effect. Not much, but it does not take much over a year or two to
introduce "new" air in the conduit.

My first conduit had a lot of water and I blew it out with a shop vac and
let the air stream run for an hour or so to help dry it out. A few passes
with a rag helped after that.  My second conduit (with the 1/4" holes in
the bottom) has not had any standing water that I could detect.  Must
admit that I do not check it very often.

I "critter proof" with the fiberglass screen that can be stapled on a
window. It wads up nicely to stuff in the pipe and my chipmunks seem to
have no taste for it. YMMV.

Bill
W2WO