[TowerTalk] Source for 2" OD Mast

W2GR at aol.com W2GR at aol.com
Fri Jan 4 17:17:11 EST 2013

I have been using 1 1/2 galvanized pipe for years on the tower with never a
 problem...and we have high winds and ice and snow loading issues here in
WNY...the OD is 1.900 and I use sch. 40...if ya need more robust you can use
 sch. 80 but will weigh a bunch more...and tower hardware will fit it...

Currently I have a Mosley Pro-67C-3  mounted on it...12 feet above  that is
a Mosley  5 el 6 meter beam...then I have turned down 6 inches  of an  8 or
9 foot length of 1 1/4 galv. pipe to fit inside the 1 1/2  and bolted...and
5 feet above the 6m beam is a cushcraft 13B2 ...and 3 or so  feet above
that is a Mosley 70cm beam....on the 1 1/4 pipe...50 MPH winds today  and all
is well....

So would I mount the Pro-67 12 feet up on it?..well no....so I guess it all
 depends what you want/need to have set up may require Chrome moly or what
ever...but for my needs and price wise...Pipe works for me...

YMMV

Mike W2GR

In a message dated 1/4/2013 4:41:00 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
richard at karlquist.com writes:

Guy  Molinari wrote:

> Yeah.   Never use pipe.    It is designed to be bent.   What you want is
> 2026 DOM or  chrome moly "tubing".

Also, pipe is never 2" OD.  So  called 2 inch pipe has a 2.375" OD.
It won't fit most tower  hardware.

Rick  N6RK

TowerTalk  mailing  list
TowerTalk at contesting.com