[TowerTalk] Rebar base for new 18HT installation?

Tom Anderson andersonww5l at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 21 15:10:43 EST 2013

Allen:

I would use some extra rebar if its possible.

When I poured the base fpor my W51 crank up tower I put some extra sections of rebar in the hole, usually attached to the base.  You can buy pre-cut rebar at most home improvement centers like Lowes or Home Depot.  I just used the same twisted wire recommended by folks who poured streets made of concrete.  I also used a heavier mix of concrete than what was specified.  I used what they call "6 sack mjix" suposedly the same mix they use in pouring interstate highway bridges.  My W51 base is still there, no cracks and nothing wrong with it either.

Also, while the base is curing, take a hose a lightly sprinkle the concrete top and sides several times a day for a week or more. Be sure and do it lightly, no deluges.  Curing concrete is exothermic and gives off heat while curing and the water will help the concrete cure evenly.  I did it with mine and so far no cracks in the base installed in 1992, etc.  I let my base cure for a month before attaching the tower to it and pulling it up.

Hope that helps.

Tom, WW5L