[TowerTalk] Hose Clamps

K8RI K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Jan 27 14:06:13 EST 2013

On 1/27/2013 1:20 PM, Jerry Gardner wrote:
> Lots of interesting suggestions. Thanks everyone.
>
> Here are some more observations that touch on some of the points mentioned.
>
> Yes, the MFJ-sourced clamps look kind of junky. The screw heads are lumpy
> and of variable size as my nut driver fits over some well and will barely
> fit others. I'll pick up some replacements at Home Depot -- their web site
> says they have "all stainless" clamps in the right size -- and see if they
> are better. I'll bring along a magnet just to be sure.

Bout all you ca do is "play it by ear"
Most of the "Big Box Stores" tend to import this type of item. Not all
imports are junk, but be sure to use the proper size.  The small clamps
break easily, but going to a size larger ends up with sharper angles
causing them to break more easily and they have less contact area.  I'd
rather use two small ones with a good fit which someone else already
mentioned.

So far I've never had a problem with elements coming loose.

Of course you could use a single small pop rivet to lock the element in
place as does Force 12.  They use two, but no hose clamps.

73

Roger (K8RI)