[TowerTalk] Lube om Hose clamps

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 29 09:57:15 EST 2013

On 1/29/13 6:21 AM, john at kk9a.com wrote:
> I have never had an issue with hose clamps galling and I tighten mine
> pretty tight.
>
> From:	 K8RI <K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net>
> Date:	 Mon, 28 Jan 2013 14:45:58 -0500
>
> Although NeneSeize or other lube will prevent SS clamp screws from
> galling, putting lube on them is a double edged sword.

Hose clamps?  A $1- $2 part? (the entire page in the McMaster-Carr
catalog has no SS316 clamps over $2 each until you get up to some
monster 3-4" units)  Galling is something you worry about when you need
to repeatably install and remove the part, or where there is repetitive
motion. Mounting screws going into a tapped hole in an expensive part,
for instance.  Steel sparkplugs going into your aluminum head.

Hose clamps aren't really intended to be reused.  They're a install once
device (much like a metal zip tie)

If you install the hose clamp, and 10-20 years from now, you decide you
want to take the antenna down, you get out the hacksaw or dremel tool
and cut the clamps off, and say, "well. $0.10/year for each clamp. an
excellent deal"

An exception would be for things like field day antennas or portable
ops.. but there, there's other factors in play.. and non-optimal
clamping is part of the game.  If it's a once a year thing, yeah, hose
clamps might the way to go, so might a wrap of duct tape.  If it's a
portable rig that you're going to put up and take down once a week or
month then you need a different clamping technique.

I've been casually designing a portable moonbounce/satellite ground
station, and this is something I've been looking at for a number of
years.  The clamps used on surveyor's tripod legs are a nice example of
a rugged, quick, fairly strong clamp. Toggle clamps of various types as
well. I haven't found a source for off the shelf bayonet or sleeve type
locking collars (think about air hose fittings or quick disconnect
hydraulic fittings) that match typical tubing sizes.