[TowerTalk] WTB: Seeking TELREX 20M326

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Jul 9 02:39:14 EDT 2013

Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2013 17:12:12 -0400
From: "Bill Winkis \(KC4PE\)" <kc4pe at mindspring.com>
To: "'James Archer'" <James.Archer at erm.com>,
<towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] WTB: Seeking TELREX 20M326

Had anyone modeled this antenna ... seems a couple of the NJ crowds mono's
were modeled and didn't fare very well .. anybody confirm....
One weekend many moons ago one of the  Ercolino's was in town erecting a
contest station, with stacked everything....My station was 2 air miles away
with a KT-34XA at 120 feet .... while testing on 20 meters the XA, was close
and sometimes better than.....I got a knock at the door, as they though I
was cheating on power.... running 2K vs their 100 watts...
We all had a big laugh over pizza and beer.....

But I wonder about the modeling .. anybody ...
.
-Bill

##  VE7XR, Ron had one at his contest site back in the early 80s.  This is the telrex
3-el 20m yagi on the 26 foot boom.   I modeled it with YO-4.0  then later with
YO-6.X       The things sucks.   Ron wanted to know if I could  tweak it on the
laptop.  He was only interested in 14.000  to 14.200    and wanted some good fb.
The oem yagi had lousy fb...and the super wide spacing didn’t help.

##  Of course the ele  positions  cant be moved...since th eles  go through the boom.
There was an option on the YO software, to  auto optimize..and leave the ele  spacings
alone....and just tweak the lengths.

##  I spent hrs and hrs on that damned thing.   Finally when all  done..he tried it.
he was VERY happy with the end results...said it was like a new ant....that actually
works.

##  My problem with YO  at the time was trying to model eles that use swages.   I would
have to segment each swedge.   I asked brian beezly k6sti about it at the time..and he started
screaming at me over the phone !  There is no mention of how to model swages...so I cooked
up my own method.

##  Then for a laff... I started modeling other telrex ants.. like their 6 el equal spaced 20m yagi..
and also their 5 el 20m yagi.    Then I also modeled   every wilson monobander that I could get
dimensions  for.   Then the mosley and hy-gain ants.   The results of all this  would make u gag
and then some.   The only good news is they could all be vastly improved on the pc..including
telrex.

## Dunno what these ant design folks were thinking about way back then.  Wilson had no clue at
all how to build anything.   their trapped yagis  were a good laff.   How the heck u get a hairpin to
work on 3 bands is beyond me.  their interlaced arrays flat out didn’t work.   telrex doesn’t own a pc...
and mosely still blathers on about 52 ohm feed systems.   Mosely’s  dbd gain claims are beyond
ludicrous..check it out.    http://www.mosley-electronics.com/pages/series/monoband.htm

Later........ Jim   VE7RF
at me over th phone