[TowerTalk] Lightning and wired networks was: Re: Lightning protection

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 10 11:35:08 EDT 2013

On 7/10/13 7:57 AM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
> Alas, when you are a history major working with pre-made serial cables
> and USB-to-serial converters with pre-molded cable terminations
> shielding and shield terminations are apt to be iffy at best.

Not a reflection on Pete, but he brings up an interesting point..

Here on TT (and on other forums) there's thousands of posts about
installing coax connectors: how to do it, best way, brands of
connectors, tooling, etc.

Yet folks seem to have an aversion to installing other kinds of
connectors: optical fibers, D-sub, etc.

For myself, I don't install connectors any more. I buy cables with
connectors installed by others. Some are good, some are bad, but that's
the breaks.

Just an observation...