[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 127, Issue 27

David Robbins k1ttt at verizon.net
Thu Jul 11 08:53:51 EDT 2013

actually.... you can have great grounding and still get this kind of damage if you don't equalize the incoming line voltage with ground at the entrance.  most of this damage was probably from what is called a back flashover.  this is where the ground potential changes relative to the power/signal wires due to a lightning strike to a tower or ground or power line ground.  in these cases the power/signal wires can be looked at as being at a constant voltage while the ground potential changes until it flashes over to the signal wire, in the case of homes this is often through your equipment power supply or modem on a phone line or cable tv box.  the fix for this is to apply mov's or other voltage equalizers between the power/signal lines to ground at your service entrance/single point ground so all the wires rise and fall at the same time.

Low voltage stuff can still be damaged by another factor, induced currents from nearby strikes.  the longer the wiring attached to the device the higher the voltage.  preventing this type of damage requires mov or other equalizer on devices inside if they don't have them built in.  this is where surge arresters in power strips or ups's can help out since the energy is 'relatively' small compared to other events.