[TowerTalk] Off Center Fed Antennas

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Tue Jun 4 09:05:35 EDT 2013

I have a 270 ft Carolina Windom off center fed dipole.  The short end is up
46 ft above the surrounding grade and
the other end is up about 25 ft. It is fed via 50 ohm coax and a 4:1 balun.

It performs fairly well on 160, 80, 40, 20, 17, 15, 12, and 10.
I never hear anything on 6 so I don't bother.
I don't do 30 or 60, but probably could with this antenna.
I use the LDG 1000 watt Pro II automatic tuner and usually get matches
better than 1.3:1

My Flex 5000A gives me 100 watts or so and I sometimes use my Tokyo High
Power
linear amp to put out 1000 watts pep. If there was ever an opportunity for
RF in the shack to be a problem
it is with a radio cabled to a computer sitting next to the linear.  All my
equipment is bonded together to a common point and
wide braid from that common point directly to a hole in the slab floor with
an 8 ft ground rod.

I have no RFI problems whatsoever.

If I separate all the equipment, disconnecting their individual ground
braids
I still have no RFI/RF in the shack problems. I haven't tried that
experiment with the amp and won't, not seeing a reason.

I have a remote coax switch to select other antennas
(including a barn top mounted and guyed radialless Hy-Gain Hy-Tower vertical
modified to work 160, 80, 40, 20, 17, 15, 12, 10)
and likewise have no RF in the shack problems.

My last RF in the shack problems was running an Atlas 350XL through a manual
tuner Into the insulated backstay of my sailboat
where the ham shack was the navigators station and had you operating about
2-3 feet from the wire out the back of the tuner to about 10 ft from the
about 30 degree off vertical random length wire (insulated backstay). You
could draw sparks from the mike to your mouth if you turned up the output
much past 100 watts.

I did fine with that maritime mobile setup even though the mast was aluminum
and all that standing rigging must have had some interesting effects.  I did
not notice any effect when sheeting in the boom (also aluminum) closer to
the backstay.

I'm sure there are folks who have problems with RF in their shack with this,
that, or the other antenna arrangement but it is not necessarily a fault of
the antenna type. Luckily there is a plethora of alternatives and if you
can't make a particular one work for you, then use something else but don't
condemn the Carolina Windom because you have problems with it, as it works
fine for many of us.

Patrick  AF5CK